Section Three: Key Actions to Take Before IDFA Loss
Key actions Mobile App Advertisers need to take before Apple’s IDFA removal in “early spring”.
- Do It Now: Review Facebook’s developer blog post as a great starting point.
- Do It Now: Upgrade to Facebook’s SDK version 8.1 or later, assuming you are using their SDK for advertising.
- Get Ready: Configure App Events Optimization, Mobile App Install, and Events with AAA and Value campaigns.
- Be Ready: Advertisers using Facebook SDK & App Events API, get prepared to use “Advertiser Tracking Enabled” to tell Facebook to restrict data use on a per-event basis.
- Get Ready: If you are using App Events API, plan to integrate SKAN API using Event manager. See instructions in Facebook’s native tools.
- Be Ready: Create several ad accounts (1) Android, (2) iOS < 14, and (3) iOS14 and later. The iOS14 account must strictly adhere to the following account requirements. Including, 1 account, 9 campaigns per app, and 5 ad sets per campaign of the same optimization type. See below for some of our recommendations.
Suggestions for how to set up your iOS14 Account for In-App Purchase (IAP) apps and ideas for how it will evolve when lookalike audience performance erodes.
Recommendations for how to set up your iOS14 Account for In-App Purchase (IAP) apps when lookalike audience performance erodes.
Suggestions for how to set up iOS14 accounts for In-App Purchase (IAP) apps once your lookalikes have eroded and you have tried the above. Please note, these recommendations are not in order of priority. They should be evaluated based on your app/audience and optimization techniques.
Suggestions for how to set up your iOS14 Account for In-App Ads (IAA) apps and ideas for how it will evolve when lookalike audience performance erodes.
Recommendations for how to set up your iOS14 Account for In-App Ads (IAA) apps when lookalike audience performance erodes.
Key Actions (Cont.)
Key actions Web Advertisers need to take before Apple’s IDFA removal “early spring”.
- Do It Now: Verify your domain in Facebook Business Manager, see their developer blog post for more information.
- Get Ready: Prepare to operate and define the priority of each of 8 total events per domain. Note this may be a significant change for some companies and require experimentation.
- Be Ready: Evaluate and experiment with attribution windows. Note the potential loss of view-through attribution and required short windows of 24-48 hours.
- Get Ready: Experiment with campaign optimization strategies, bidding, audiences, etc.
Facebook’s AAA API
If you develop proprietary AdTech using the Facebook API, we also recommend that you implement Facebook’s AAA API that was just released on February 1, 2021. Facebook has expanded the access of Automated App Ads to the Marketing Ads API.
- Automated App Ads API is a new way to run an app install ad on Facebook. This helps app marketers of all sizes achieve better performance, greater scale, and more efficiency.
- Automated App Ads leverages powerful machine learning to automatically optimize your campaigns across creative, audience, and optimization. They also deliver more high-value conversions with less effort.
- The product is designed to improve your experience with app marketing in three areas:
- Better performance with AI-powered targeting and improved delivery models.
- Sustain performance when increasing budgets with machine learning that automatically tests creative combinations to deliver the highest performing ads.
- Faster and more efficient campaign management with a streamlined campaign creation flow that reduces the need for manual adjustments.
- Please see their developer documentation for more details on the API.
Check out our other articles related to IDFA removal:
External Articles we recommend:
- Preparing our Partners for iOS 14: Impacts to App Advertisers and Developers
- App Tracking Transparency Codex: the ultimate guide to ATT, IDFA deprecation, and SKAdNetwork
- Tim Cook to speak at EU data conference at Apple-hosted advertising session
- Facebook Login Updates: A New Limited Data Mode
- Apple privileges its own ad network with ATT. What is its privacy endgame?
Facebook’s latest updates to prepare partners for iOS 14:
- Preparing our partners for iOS 14: Mobile Web Advertising [December 16, 2020]
- Facebook’s Previous Updates to Prepare Partners for iOS 14:
- Preparing for Apple’s App Store Data Disclosure Requirements [October 22, 2020]
- Preparing our Partners for iOS 14 [Updated September 10, 2020]
Please reach out to sales@ConsumerAcquisition.com if we can help with IDFA strategy, creative or media buying on Facebook, Google, TikTok, Snap, and Apple Search Ads.