This month, see how major gaming and platform companies are assessing the impact of IDFA loss in their own words, in our August 2021 Q2 Earnings Roundup & IDFA Impact Report. In related news, listen to a discussion on the IDFA impact in a new episode of the GameMaker’s podcast with Brian Bowman, CEO at Consumer Acquisition. Joe Kim, CEO at LILA Games, Warren Woodward, Co-Founder & Chief Growth Officer at Upptic, and Matej Lancaric, User Acquisition & Marketing consultant. And for the fourth year in a row, Inc. magazine has named Consumer Acquisition to its annual Inc 5000 list of America’s fastest-growing private companies.
In creative trends, Facebook says creative-based user motivations are a “future-proof solution.” Our persona-led competitive analysis for Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes unlocked new ad creative opportunities, most notably a new way to attract female players. And see what kind of ad creative performed well for Disney Sorcerer’s Arena based on MobileAction Ad Intelligence data.
Mobile App UA & Creative Roundup August 2021
Persona-Led Creative & Creative Trends
Top UA and creative trends working for Facebook, Google, TikTok, and Snap.
As deterministic tracking erodes on iOS, UA teams that understand the motivations and desires of their target personas can get quality top-of-funnel installs without deeper event tracking.
The broad appeal of Disney’s IP is a perfect opportunity to experiment with persona-led creative designed for different motivations and interests.
Get the data on how IDFA loss is killing lookalike audience targeting and causing a rise in unattributed organic revenue, resulting in a sustained negative impact on ROAS.
See how major gaming and platform companies are assessing the impact of IDFA loss, in their own words in our Q2 Earnings Roundup & IDFA Impact Report with insights from Apple, Facebook, EA/Glu, Playtika, Skillz, Unity, Applovin, IronSource, and Rovio.
IDFA Impact: Here’s what we’re seeing in August 2021
- We see a -15% to -20% average revenue loss for iOS apps targeting broad audiences and -35% revenue loss for apps with niche audiences
- With only a 35% consent rate to ATT, custom and lookalike audience size has been reduced -65% and effectiveness has dropped
- Continued downward pressure on click-to-install (c2i) is indicative of lower traffic quality across paid social channels
- Many small and mid-sized mobile app developers have paused spending on iOS or shifted heavily to Android, inflating CPMs
- Several public companies appear to have tied COVID traffic decreases with IDFA impact as a way to buy time for full impacts to become clear
IDFA Impact: Here’s what public companies said
- Apple: revenue from ads will be down
- Facebook: +6% ad impressions, +47% CPM avg
- Applovin: iOS 14.5+ adoption +80%, 35-40% ATT prompt consent
- Playtika: iOS 14.5+ adoption +75%, 34% ATT prompt consent
- Zynga: warned IDFA will have a material impact; H2 bookings could be down by $100M
- Unity: captures 50 billion daily in-app events and sees movement toward a contextual ad model without IDFA; raised 2021 guidance $50m
- Ironsource: a platform built to analyze contextual data has 2.5 billion monthly active users; no material IDFA impact loss yet
- Skillz: IDFA loss is yet to be determined, but is expected to be neutral; experimenting with engagement marketing rather than UA spend while CPIs remain high
Consumer Acquisition CEO Brian Bowman discussed IDFA’s impact on a new episode of the GameMaker’s podcast with Joe Kim, CEO at LILA Games, Warren Woodward, Co-Founder & Chief Growth Officer at Upptic, and Matej Lancaric, User Acquisition & Marketing consultant. They talked about the implications of IDFA loss with actual data. The data includes tactics for UA and Marketing to address the impact, product and monetization changes, and the likely winners and losers coming out of all of this.
For the fourth year in a row, Inc. magazine has named Consumer Acquisition to its annual Inc 5000 list, which recognizes the most successful companies within the American economy’s most dynamic segment—its independent businesses. We are again truly honored to be included by Inc. magazine. This recognition is entirely a credit to the people of our organization. They continue to drive growth and innovation at Consumer Acquisition year after year.
More Creative Trends
- July 2021: Facebook UA and creative roundup
- Life of Facebook Creative Infographic
- Facebook Creative Fatigue
- Player Profiles & User Motivations
- Better, Faster, Cheaper – Facebook Asset Production & Agile Shoots
- Breakthrough Creative for Facebook Ads
- The Definitive Guide to Unity & Unreal Engine Gameplay Capture
- App Store Optimization Essentials
For more information on persona-led creative or IDFA impact, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.