See how to produce winning ad creative for streaming apps:
- Compare top creative trends from content streaming apps
- Discover user motivations for content streaming apps
- Use our Ad Concept Model to stay ahead of creative fatigue
- Increase ad-buying success rate across Facebook, Google, and TikTok with our Media Buying Model
Mobile Streaming Apps
Streaming apps and mobile content services range from hard-to-find content to broad appeal favorites, pay-per-view to subscription. While different mobile content services may focus on specific user interests, there are universal user motivations for content and streaming services that drive their fast-growing popularity across all categories.
Using our Ad Concept Model, we’ve analyzed creative trends and user motivations for streaming apps and mobile content services. Our model is designed to systematize creative development and UA targeting based on iterative testing. We identify creative trends and motivations within a mobile game genre or app category then create concepts for target personas where they intersect.
This process ensures we always have new creative concepts to stay ahead of creative fatigue. We’ve systematized the process, so we know what works, why it works, and how to do more of it. From niche to mainstream, our creative concepting model means our clients get reliable top-performing creative in the most cost-efficient and scalable way.
Creative Trends for Streaming Apps
AdRules, our proprietary SaaS platform, analyzes 3.5 million videos and is updated daily. Competitive research reveals which creative trends are working best across social platforms. To identify creative trends, use Facebook Ad Library to see every ad currently running on their ad network. You can also use Mobile Action, SensorTower, or AppAnnie competitor libraries.
Top competitors in this space include Netflix, Hulu, Philo, Pluto TV, Sling, Starz, SyFy, Vudu, Shudder, FXNow, AT&T TV, BET Now, Paramount Network, Crackle, Disney+, Maimovie, TikTok, Uplive: Live it Up, Replika: My AI Friend, Roku, Youtube TV, and HBO Now.
Broad concepts and trends we see for streaming apps include:
- Movie Trailers: Videos with movie trailer style content, featuring one or multiple titles. (Starz, Shudder, BET Now)
- Promoting Exclusive Content: Videos or images promoting exclusive or original content. (Netflix, HBO Now, TikTok)
- Special Offers: Videos or images with special offers. (Hulu, Starz)
- Range of Programming: Videos or images touting breadth of content. (Philo, Pluto TV, Vudu)
- App Overview: Videos or images focused on the workings of the app, including exclusive services. (Vudu, Maimovie, Replika)
User Motivations for Streaming Apps
Below, we’ve outlined high-level motivational triggers for a streaming app user.
Creative Trends x User Motivations for Streaming Apps
We map identified creative trends to user motivations within the category to develop and iterate on different concepts. In the model below, each box represents a different ad creative concept and we’ve included a sample set. Our ad concept matrix supports over 50 creative concepts for streaming apps by pairing nine trends with six user motivations.
The proposed ad concept model acts as a foundation for an iterative creative process that can be customized and extended to develop endless ad concepts for an app, website, or service. By building a scalable infrastructure for creative ideation, we provide unique lanes for creative teams and media buyers to explore ideas. The model also acts as an archive of knowledge to ensure we are always optimizing what we’ve learned.
Why use a model like this?
Tying persona-led ad creative to user motivation is what Facebook calls a “future-proof solution” for UA and creative teams. With the negative impacts of IDFA loss, including erosion of lookalike audience targeting and A/B testing, focusing on persona motivation is the most efficient lever for sustained profitable user acquisition.
Even if you adapt to the volatile ad ecosystem, it can still be hard to beat your control video. But a constant stream of fresh creative concepts and smart, iterative testing means we can beat the algorithmic odds. Consumer Acquisition’s industry expertise comes from managing over $3 billion in creative and paid social spend for the world’s largest mobile apps and performance advertisers. Our process is designed to save time and money by killing losing creatives quickly to significantly reduce non-converting spend. Our proprietary technology enables our entire global team to make creative and media buying decisions. These decisions are based on a client’s financial performance, helping them achieve and sustain profitable mobile app user acquisition.
Media Buying Model
As a complementary tool to our Ad Concept Model, our Media Buying Model uses a similar matrixed approach to systematize best practices for user acquisition campaign development. Any mobile app can leverage a unique combination of distinct UA strategies and campaign parameters to develop a robust testing harness for ongoing mobile campaigns across social platforms.
In its most generic state, our Media Buying Model looks like the matrix below, prior to building out a mobile app user acquisition strategy. The entire matrix is tailored to a respective ad network and operating system requirements and constraints. Geographies, languages, and bid types are all modified based on the client’s needs. Each campaign is structured to meet specific goals at the intersection of strategies and parameters.
Testing on Android
Even prior to IDFA loss, Consumer Acquisition conducted creative and UA testing on Android because it was less expensive, and results translated well to iOS. We saved iOS testing for the rare clients without an Android app or those who were solely targeting iOS users.
- Unlimited ad accounts and campaigns
- Unobstructed deterministic tracking
- Comprehensive A/B testing with full reporting
- Distributed scale and spend across campaigns
- Rapid testing, unlimited test campaigns
- Success drivers easy to identify and scale
- Google Firebase enables tROAS, delivering ~15% lift on CPA campaigns with better user mapping
iOS IDFA Impacts
- Many accounts but only 9 campaigns, 5 ad sets
- SKAN tracking disabled after 24-48 hours (See AppsFlyer Conversion Studio below)
- A/B testing in DCO blobs, no asset reporting
- Fewer campaigns, higher budgets, more significant edits
- Restricted testing, only 9 campaigns
- Aggregate insights drive slower optimization
- Post-IDFA, iOS lookalike audiences have lost -65% of their reach and effectiveness
Below are media buying models for Facebook Android versus Facebook iOS SKAN to show different tactics, limitations, and benefits. For Google iOS SKAN, and TikTok iOS and Android, as well as in-depth tactics by channel, see our full Media Buying Model here.
Want better results from UA?
Email us at email@example.com.
Check out our creative work:
- Rovio: Angry Birds CA+ Commercial
- Summer Gaming Reel
- Match 3 Reel
- Hypercasual Reel
- Social Casino Reel
- Hidden Object Reel
- RPG Reel
- UGC Reel
- Romance Apps Reel
- Devsisters CookieRun Reel
- GramGames Merge Dragons Reel
- Raid Shadow Legends Reel
- Games24x7 Reel
- Good Game Studios Big Farm Reel
- Miniclip Golf Battle Reel
- Gameloft Overdrive City Reel
- WildLife Studios Sniper 3D Reel
- MyTona Seekers Notes Reel
- Sports Reel
- Board Game Apps Reel
- Trivia Reel
- Sports Reel
- Subscription Clients Reel
- Food In A Box Reel
- FinTech Reel
- Home Renovation Reel
- Kids Apps Reel
- Word Games Reel
- Casino + Bingo + Poker Reel
- Fashion & Style Reel
- Real Money Gambling Reel
- Sports Creative Strategy
- TikTok Creative Strategy
- Match 3
- Hypercasual Games
- Casual RPG
- Casino Games
- Card Games
- Simulation Games
- Hidden Objects
- Romance Games