If you want to run more video ads on Facebook, but lack video footage, try creating the ads with still images. All it takes is a little motion.
Facebook recently added a new feature called “Create to Convert.” This production framework is designed to help advertisers create short videos from still images.
With Create to Convert, you can make four different types of videos. The following definitions have been pulled from Facebook’s page about Create to Convert.
Creating Facebook Video Ads Using Still Images
Basics in Motion: Animate your still image by adding only one or two elements of motion in a few seconds and include a call-to-action (CTA) card at the end to drive your desired business outcome.
Brand In Motion: Bring the elements of your brand or logo to life in a few seconds to promote brand recognition and then add a CTA card at the end to drive action.
Benefit in Motion: Bring the key benefit or message of your ad to life through animation in a few seconds. This could be a product benefit, a special offer or discount, a testimonial, or product variety. Highlighting the benefit will illuminate the value to your audience and adding a CTA at the end will enable them to take the next step toward conversion.
This ad for Glu Mobile’s Design Home app is a good example of benefits in motion:
Demo In Motion: Focus motion on demonstrating how your app, website, service, product or feature work. Show people how to navigate your offerings and include a CTA at the end to take action right from your ad seamlessly.
You may be wondering, do these in-motion ads really work? They do! According to Facebook testing, 69% of ads developed with Create to Convert saw improvements. In one case, conversion rates rose a whopping 500% with these video ads.
10 Steps to Create Video Ads Using Still Images
So, how does one use this feature? Until recently, companies would have to hire a team from Facebook Creative or work with a creative agency to develop these videos. In mid-2018, Facebook unveiled this functionality to all advertisers. Yes, it’s already available to you in your account.
1. Create a new campaign and then select the “App installs” objective. Currently, the ability to create videos from still images is only available when using the app installs objective.
Should you need to use this feature for a different type of objective, you can contact Facebook’s Creative Shop team, or reach out to a Creative Partner to develop an ad on your behalf.
2. Next, select the blue “Learn more” link in the Turn Images Into Videos box shown above. From there, you’ll see this pop-up:
3. Select the blue “Get Started” button. You’ll then be directed to the Format section of the ad creation process. Click on “App Installs.”
4. In the Format section, choose “Single Video.” Then, on that same page, click “Use Templates.”
This will show you all the possible templates that you can use to turn still images and text into video. You can choose from:
-Square or Vertical Templates, or
-Holiday or Standard Themes
Below, you see all of the templates available for square videos with the Standard theme:
5. After choosing a template, you’ll see a new pop-up screen. Here, you will define your video’s first scene:
First, you need to select the background color for your first image.
6. Next, you’ll be tasked with adding a logo or a small image. In this example, I added an image to the bottom left corner:
7. From here, select the “Scene 2” icon. This allows you to define the background and add text:
In this case, I left the background image blank and added text in the top third of the video frame:
The on/off buttons in the upper right-hand section of each option allow you opt-in or out of using certain elements.
8. Repeat these steps for Scene 3. You’ll be given the same options as you were in Scene 1 and Scene 2.
9. Finally, define the Effects in your video. You can add a frame, some new colors, or use a Sticker (shown below).
You are able to specify the size and position of the sticker, just like you can with the text and image elements.
10. To save your work, select “Use Video.” The next screen will bring you back to the customization page.
Final Thoughts About Creating Facebook Video Ads Using Still Images
As you can see, creating great Facebook video ads from still images isn’t too difficult. If you use some of the best practices we’ve found for creating mobile video ads, you can easily turn images into videos for some of your best ads yet.
Our latest release, the Bulksheet Editor for Creative Studio, allows you to bulk edit videos yourself. It also provides a guided experience with high-performance video templates based on creative concepts that are working for top-spending advertisers on Facebook and Google App Campaign. The platform allows you to easily edit existing videos with cards, banners, footers, headlines, emojis, stickers and call to actions. This editor helps advertisers save considerable time by editing thousands of videos in just a few steps.
Learn more about Bulksheet Editor and our Creative Studio.