TikTok marketing is now widely available on this newest social network to gain global awareness and reach over 800 million active users. TikTok is used for sharing user-generated videos, mostly of people lip-synching to popular songs. Users can create and upload their own videos where they lip-synch, sing, dance, or just talk. Users can also browse and interact with other users’ content, which covers a wide range of topics, songs, and styles.
What demographics does TikTok marketing reach?
About 66% of TikTok users are under 30, with 41% in the 16 to 24 age bracket; and many of the trending videos on the platform relate to topics like school and homework. If your target audience is significantly older, then you may not benefit as much from the platform. However, do bear in mind that young people are traditionally the ‘early adopters of most new technologies, and older demographics are increasingly discovering and using the app.
How can marketers use TikTok marketing?
There are three main ways that brands can market on TikTok:
- Create their own channel and upload relevant videos through their channel
- Work with influencers, to spread content to a broader audience
- Pay to advertise on TikTok using performance-based campaigns.
Many brands do a combination of all three types of marketing to drive effectiveness.
How can brands get started with TikTok marketing?
The first thing a marketer must do is create a TikTok marketing account. To do this:
- Visit the TikTok Ads homepage: https://ads.tiktok.com/homepage/
- Click the Create an Ad button
- Fill in the form that appears with your details and click Submit
- A representative from TikTok will contact you, and your account will be set up within 48 hours
- When your account is set up, you will have access to the platform’s dashboard and can start creating ad campaigns.
Once approved, marketers can launch a TikTok marketing campaign by doing the following:
- Click the Campaign tab and then click Create
- Choose a campaign objective
- Set a daily or lifetime budget
- Create an ad group for a campaign
- Choose ad placements and audience targeting
- Configure the budget and schedule for the ad group
- Set the pacing for the budget
- Select an optimization goal
- Upload videos or photos, insert ad copy and CTA
What are the different TikTok marketing types and creatives?
It is always important to keep viewers engaged on the platform. With TikTok Advertising, marketers can choose from a variety of formats, including horizontal, vertical, or square videos and images.
For your TikTok advertising campaigns, you will need creative, lots of it. It is a good idea to make use of TikTok’s Video Creation Kit when designing ads. This tool makes it easy to create video ads. It provides a variety of video and image templates, which can be customized using existing assets, as well as free background music options.
You will want to continually develop, test, and optimize your campaign creatives. Learn how to use creative testing best practices to drive performance. Social media audiences require a cadence of fresh content and creative, otherwise, they get ‘creative fatigue’ and will begin to ignore your campaigns. If you cannot test creative ads quickly and affordably, your campaign’s financial performance is likely to suffer from a lot of non-converting spend.
Check Out Our Blockbuster Creative!
But testing alone is not enough. You also must generate enough original creative concepts to fuel testing and uncover winners. Over the years, we have found that 19 out of 20 ads fail (5% success rate), you do not just need one new creative: You need 20 new original ideas or more to sustain performance and scale! Check out our article on how to make creative that stands out.
On TikTok, you can also experiment with a variety of different ad types, including:
- Brand Takeovers: You can immediately hook user attention with brand takeovers, as they appear instantly when a user opens TikTok. This ad type can deliver a strong visual impact on your brand.
- In-feed Ads: These native ads are integrated into users’ ‘For You’ feeds. Users can like, comment, share and follow the videos.
- Hashtag Challenges: These encourage users to share content on TikTok on your brand’s behalf for several days. They tap into TikTok users’ passion for creation and self-expression and can create a high level of engagement for your brand.
- In-Feed Ad on TikTok
To ensure the success of TikTok campaigns, advertisers must find the perfect balance of cost and visibility to ensure maximum results from campaigns. To ensure that each advertising dollar is used effectively, create a unique campaign for your business, depending on your market position, industry, size, and area of operation, and constantly analyze and improve keywords and locations.
Read our blog post, UA Media Buying Model, and see how it works in tandem with our Ad Concept Model. Learn the media buying best practice strategies for Facebook Android, Facebook iOS SKAN, Google, and TikTok.