Social media advertising is a highly effective way to reach certain target audiences. While Facebook and Instagram are staples of any social advertiser’s arsenal, TikTok ads have quickly become an important advertising platform with mass appeal to over 800 million active users, especially for younger audiences.
About 66% of TikTok users are under 30, with 41% in the 16 to 24 age brackets; and many of the trending videos on the platform relate to topics like school and homework. TikTok is used for sharing user-generated videos, mostly of people lip-synching to popular songs. Users can create and upload their own videos where they lip-synch, sing, dance, or just talk. Users can also browse and interact with other users’ content, which covers a wide range of topics, songs, and styles.
TikTok Ads: How-to Guide for Marketers
There are three main ways that marketers can leverage TikTok:
- Create their own channel and upload relevant videos through their channel
- Work with influencers, to spread content to a broader audience
- Pay to advertise on TikTok using performance-based campaigns.
Many brands do a combination of all three types of advertising to drive effectiveness.
How to Get Started with Your First Campaign
The first thing a marketer must do is create a TikTok Ads account. To do this:
- Visit the TikTok Ads homepage
- Click the Create an Ad button
- Fill in the form that appears with your details and click Submit
- A representative from TikTok will contact you, and your account will be set up within 48 hours
- When your account is set up, you will have access to the platform’s dashboard and can start creating ad campaigns.
Once approved, marketers can launch a TikTok ads campaign by doing the following:
- Click the Campaign tab and then click Create
- Choose a campaign objective
- Set a daily or lifetime budget
- Create an ad group for a campaign
- Choose ad placements and audience targeting
- Configure the budget and schedule for the ad group
- Set the pacing for the budget
- Select an optimization goal
- Upload videos or photos, insert ad copy and CTA
It is always important to keep viewers engaged on the platform. With TikTok ads, marketers can choose from a variety of formats, including horizontal, vertical, or square videos and images.
For your TikTok ads, you will need creative, lots of it. It is a good idea to make use of TikTok’s Video Creation Kit when designing ads. This tool makes it easy to create video ads. It provides a variety of video and image templates, which can be customized using existing assets, as well as free background music options.
You will want to continually develop, test, and optimize your campaign creatives. Learn how to use creative testing best practices to drive performance. Social media audiences require a cadence of fresh content and creative, otherwise, they get ‘creative fatigue’ and will begin to ignore your campaigns. If you cannot test creative ads quickly and affordably, your campaign’s financial performance is likely to suffer from a lot of non-converting spend.
But testing alone is not enough. You also must generate enough original creative concepts to fuel testing and uncover winners. Over the years, we have found that 19 out of 20 ads fail (5% success rate), you don’t just need one new creative: You need 20 new original ideas or more to sustain performance and scale! Check out our article on how to make creative that stands out.
On TikTok, you can also experiment with a variety of different ad types, including:
- Brand Takeovers: You can immediately hook user attention with brand takeovers, as they appear instantly when a user opens TikTok. This ad type can deliver a strong visual impact on your brand.
- In-feed Ads: These native ads are integrated into users’ ‘For You’ feeds. Users can like, comment, share and follow the videos.
- Hashtag Challenges: These encourage users to share content on TikTok on your brand’s behalf for several days. They tap into TikTok users’ passion for creation and self-expression and can create a high level of engagement for your brand.
- In-Feed Ad on TikTok
Final Thoughts on How to Use TikTok Ads
To ensure the success of TikTok campaigns, advertisers must find the perfect balance of cost and visibility to ensure maximum results from campaigns. To ensure that each advertising dollar is used effectively, create a unique campaign for your business, depending on your market position, industry, size, and area of operation, and constantly analyze and improve keywords and locations.
TikTok ads will continue evolving, too. We want to help you stay up-to-date with all the latest changes and strategies to succeed. Read our blog post to see examples of the latest Tiktok strategies and trends. Learn more about our advertising support services here.