What’s the Cost Per Mobile App Install on Facebook and Instagram?
Facebook and Instagram can be a gold mine for mobile app advertisers. The volume of traffic is massive, and the cost per mobile app install (CPI) is often lower than competing traffic channels. Advertisers frequently ask how much they should expect to pay per mobile app install on Facebook and Instagram, and the answer is simple: anywhere from $0.25 to $100 CPI. What causes the extreme variability in CPI? That’s a little more complex, and there are six primary factors that influence an advertiser’s CPI:
- Mobile app verticals – an advertiser’s vertical is often the most important factor for determining cpi. With broader appeal comes a lower cpi, as costs fall when click-through rates and conversion rates increase. In the U.S., verticals like ecommerce tend to have a CPI between $0.50 and $3.00, casual casino apps generally range from $2.00 to $15.00 cpi, and MMORPG games will often see a cpi of +$20 on Facebook and Instagram.
- Creative optimization – the difference between optimized creative and poor-performing creative can often cause a change in cpi of 10x or more. We’ve seen advertisers go from $80 cpi to $3.00 cpi in the matter of days, as a result of introducing creative that performs significantly better.
- Workflow automation and rule-based management – many advertisers take advantage of software to automate their workflow and mange ads with rule-based management. By using software to manage ads around the clock, advertisers can limit risk from ads that perform poorly, and they can more easily scale top-performing ads. AdRules™ is a self-service platform that allows advertisers to automate their workflow and set up rule-based management of ads, and it’s currently free for 30 days.
- Attribution windows – advertisers often use different attribution windows to measure mobile app installs. Facebook’s default attribution window includes a 1-day view and 28-day click window. An advertiser will show a higher cpi by opting not to use view attribution, by using a shorter click attribution window than 28 days, or by using last click attribution (where Facebook uses any click attribution).
- Geographies – the cpi by country is very different on Facebook and Instagram, and the value of users by country is often different as well.
- Audience size – advertisers generally notice a correlation between bigger audiences and lower cpi. Facebook’s algorithms can more easily find high-quality users when the available audience is bigger, which leads to reduced costs.
ConsumerAcquisition is a full-service agency for mobile app advertising and lead generation on Facebook and Instagram. AdRules™ is a self-service ad management platform for Facebook and Instagram, and was designed to optimize performance for mobile app advertising and lead generation. Contact email@example.com to learn more, or sign up online for a FREE 30-day trial of AdRules™.
Sign Up to Our Creative Marketplace Today